Other Immigration Services

Immigration Guidance for Your Employees

Global businesses commonly choose to have foreign nationals join their commercial activities in the United States. The Law Offices of Nina Mawby will help your employees select and apply for the applicable employment-based visas. The firm helps ensure that your company adheres to the proper procedures of employment verification and I-9 form compliance. Their staff also works personally with your new employees to help them acclimate to the Tulsa community, offering guidance on matters such as obtaining a driver's license and purchasing automobile insurance  

Religious Workers

Religious workers have both immigrant and non-immigrant options for entering the United States. Religious workers would include persons authorized by a religious organization to conduct religious worship and perform other duties usually performed by authorized members of the clergy of that religion or workers engaging in a religious vocation or occupation. Applicants must meet specific requirements to qualify as a temporary religious worker (R-1 Visa) or as a Special Immigrant Religious Worker. R-1 Visa allows a religious worker to the United States to be temporarily employed by a non-profit religious organization in the U.S. to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation. The religious worker's spouse and minor children may accompany the religious worker under R-2 visas or may obtain green cards with the religious worker. Special Immigrant Religious Workers seek permanent residence in the United States based on full-time employment by a non-profit religious organization in the U.S. to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation. The religious worker's spouse and minor children may apply for permanent residence with the religious worker.  

J-1 Waivers

J visas are non-immigrant visas given to persons who are coming to the United States to participate in a visitor exchange program. Some J Visas require that the exchange visitor reside in his or her home country for two years before being eligible to apply for immigration to the United States. Under certain limited circumstances, a waiver of the two year residency requirement may be available.  


Refugee status or asylum may be granted to people who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion. You may apply for asylum in the United States regardless of your country of origin or your current immigration status. A Refugee is a person who is outside of and unable to return to their home country because of persecution or a fear of persecution. Asylum status is a form of protection available to people who meet the definition of refugee, are already in the United States, and are seeking admission at a port of entry. Generally, applications for asylum must be submitted within one year of first entering the United States. The conditions for receiving asylum in the United States are challenging. The Law Offices of Nina Mawby help asylees to prove their eligibility on the basis of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution due to:
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

Travel Documentation (advance parole)

The sole purpose of an advance parole travel document is to authorize you to seek parole into the United States to await a decision on your pending adjustment of status application. An Advance Parole document will allow you to travel multiple times for one full year from the date of issue while your application for permanent residency is being processed. Most aliens need Advance Parole to re-enter the US after traveling abroad who have pending applications for immigration benefits or for changes in nonimmigrant status. You are required to file this application from inside the United States.  

Work Permits

A work permit is considered by many foreigners to be a visa needed to work legally in the United States. However, this is not the case. A work permit is defined as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by the USCIS. The application for a work permit is filed on Form I-765 by the U.S. employer. The foreign employee is not involved in the work permit application process. The purpose of the work permit application is to make sure that the foreign employee is allowed to work in the United States. Green Card holders do not need to obtain a work permit in the United States. A Green Card holder will have an Alien Registration Card (Green Card), which serves as proof of being able to legally work in the United States. The Green Card is also a work permit. Green Card holders can apply for most jobs in the United States; however, certain jobs require U.S. citizenship.  

Consular Processing

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) offers an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status (a green card). An individual who is the beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and has an immigrant visa number immediately available may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. This pathway is referred to as consular processing. Consular processing is an interview process which an applicant can take at a United States consulate overseas. In order to apply for consular processing, applicant's petition for immigration must be approved and the visa number (priority date) should be current. You can apply for consular processing if you are currently outside the United States. You may also apply for consular processing if you live in the United States, but prefer processing at a United States consulate abroad for convenience.