Legal Permanent Residence/Greencard
An "immigrant" is any person who is not a citizen of the United States and is residing in the United States under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence. This is also referred to as "Permanent Resident Alien," "Resident Alien Permit Holder," and "Green Card Holder." To be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen generally must be sponsored by a United States citizen relative(s), United States lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer.  

Employment Based Green Cards

An employer can seek legal permanent residency (greencard) for their employees. The road to a greencard through an employer is generally a three step process. First, is the labor certification utilizing the PERM process followed by the I-140 Visa Petition. Lastly, the adjustment of status is completed. When your company wants to hire foreign workers to permanently work in the United States, you can file for permanent employment certification on their behalf under the PERM program. This is a cumbersome process, but the persistent attorneys at The Law Offices of Nina Mawby know how to guide you through the three steps:
  • Labor certification
  • Visa petition
  • Adjustment of status or consulate processing
The firm recognizes the significance of your choice to bringing employees to this country on a permanent basis. Their attorneys help you gather the extensive documentation required to achieve this important business goal. Employment-based Greencards are broken down into five categories: The legal term at The Law Offices of Nina Mawby makes a careful assessment of your skills and guides you to the employment-based visa that best fits your qualifications.  

Family Based Green Cards

Lawyers who help bring people together

The immigration lawyers at The Law Offices of Nina Mawby help U.S. residents bring their relatives to join them in the United States. The firm directly works with individuals who wish to be joined by their loved ones, as well as businesses that seek to help their employees bring their families to the United States. There are numerous methods of obtaining a family-based Green Card, and the firm's attorneys help you choose the most practical approach.  

Confirming the sponsor's documentation

The Law Offices of Nina Mawby first ensures that the U.S. resident is properly qualified to sponsor a relative for a family-based Green Card. Their attorneys confirm that the sponsor:
  • Is a citizen or lawful permanent resident over the age of 21
  • Has documentation of citizenship or resident status
  • Can provide proof of the ability to support the relative at 125 percent above the mandated poverty line
The firm's attorneys fully examine a sponsor's credentials because they want your family-based immigration efforts to succeed.  

Applying for a family-based Green Card

The Immigration and Nationality Act allows family-based Green Cards to be issued to immediate relatives of U. S. citizens as soon as the application is approved. An immediate relative is a
  • Parent
  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21
  If the sponsor is not a U.S. Citizen or the applicant does not fit one of the above categories, a family-based Green Card may be issued according to a preference system:
  • First preference (F1) - Unmarried adult sons and daughters of United States citizens
  • Second preference (F2) - Spouses, children and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third preference (F3) - Married sons and daughters of United States citizens
  • Fourth preference (F4) - Brothers and sisters of United States citizens
The knowledgeable immigration lawyers at The Law Offices of Nina Mawby give you a realistic assessment of competition for family-based Green Cards within your preference level.  

Obtaining derivative status

Spouses and minor children of preference aliens may be eligible to obtain permanent residency at the same time as the principal applicant. the firm can help you understand the specific requirements for this type of entry, known as derivative status.