United States Citizenship may generally be achieved through birth in the United States or through Naturalization. Naturalization occurs when United States citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he/she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act. The knowledgeable lawyers at The Law Office of Nina Mawby have guided many immigrants through the naturalization process. The firm's attorneys know how to handle special circumstances such as:
  • Modified residency requirements for spouses
  • Military applications
  • Language requirement waivers
  • United States government and history knowledge requirement waivers
  • Modifications of the requirements of the oath of allegiance


Lawful Permanent Residents apply for U.S. citizenship by filing an application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the Service Center with jurisdiction over the applicant's place of residence. As part of the application process, a United States civics test is administered and a limited understanding of the English language is required. When the application is approved, the applicant becomes a United States Citizen after an Oath Ceremony is administered.  

Derivative Citizenship

United States Citizenship may be transferred to children through the naturalization of parents or, under certain circumstances, to foreign-born children adopted by United States citizen parents. While Derivative Citizenship may be automatic in some cases, proof of United States Citizenship may be required when applying for employment and in order to obtain documents such as, U.S. Passport, State-Issued Driver's License, or Identification Card. In such cases, applying for a Certificate of Citizenship might be the best course of action.